Skip to main content

Wk 3 - Framing and Composition



Shooting in Manual

Hello manual! Over the last two weeks we have been shooting in Aperture and Shutter priority.  So when we were asked to switch to Manual, i was a bit apprehensive.  After great direction, it didn't feel so foreign.

Framing

Framing, draws attention to the subject in the photo by using other parts of the image with something in the scene.

f3.5, 1/500, ISO 200
This isn't the best example of framing but i promise i will post up a better photo.  This was taken during our class exercise.  Shot at a low depth of field, my main focus was to practice shooting in manual.  I'm not 100% sure what im doing so i'll be doing alot of research with it all.  As you can see the colours are a bit blah, which i absolutely hate but i hope that as i become more informed the quality of my photos will show some sort of improvement. 

While doing research on a website called Digital Photography School advice which was offered when framing a subject was to as whether the framing would add or distract attention away from image.  As this can cause a photo to appear cluttered or on the flip side transform an ordinary shot to a stunning photo.

Composition

This is all about how you compose your shots.  Like a song writer, putting together the right words to music can make a song unforgettable.  This is also true for photos, balance is the key.  It's been quite a journey learning how all of these elements work together to make a shot balanced.  There are so many things to consider.   In class Caryline spoke about photography being a "considered" approach, i really like that!  It rings truth to the youth worker in me.  One of the greatest lessons taught to me by a great mentor and teacher Lloyd Martin, is the importance of knowing your audience.  Regardless of what you do for young people, if you don't see things from their perspective then you've wasted your time and theirs.  I'm starting to realise just how important all these elements are in the construction of photos.  At the end of the day, i want people viewing my photos to understand whats happening in my photos and not be left wandering what the heck just happened. 

Below are some examples of rule of thirds:

Rule of thirds


These photos were taken at Manukau MIT site in the late afternoon.

f/5.6, 1/13, ISO 100

f/4.0, 1/25, ISO 1600
My subject is the tree, i used the lines above to direct the eye to the tree.  I also placed the tree in the fore ground using the light from below to further emphases it.  This was taken in "golden hour" which gave a beautiful background for the tree.  I also like the contrast of man made and nature complimenting each other.
f/5.0, 1/15, ISO 100
 I used my bag as the subject.  I thought that the colours would reinforce its focus in the frame.  I also positioned the bag in the intersecting lines and used the lines of the MIT building to direct the eye to the bag.  On second thoughts maybe the colours of the bag was a bit of an obvious choice especially as there is a lack of colours in the mid and background. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 1 - Shutter Speed (TV)

Week 1 This week we are looking at Shutter speeds.   The shutter speed controls the durations of the exposure.  It is the length of time the shutter is open and where light can get in through your sensor. Less light 1/1000 sec - freeze action More light 1 sec - artistic blurs Our exercises in class this week was to play around with different shutter speeds.   It’s my first time using a proper tripod and I must say it’s a wee bit more sturdy and fiddly then the budget ones I’ve used before.   It’s a bit daunting setting up a shot with all this fresh info churning around in my head.   On top of it all there’s a knob for everything on this darn tripod – eek!!! i feel for my poor models having to wait patiently while i sort it all out.   Sorry guys!  Anyway here are some examples of shots at varied shutter speeds I've taken during the week. Still portraits Shutter speed: 1/80", f/10 Shutter speed: 1", f/36 As you increase the size of your ape

Portfolio Wk 1 – Portfolio Trajectory

Pitch for Portfolio trajectory I’ve been thinking for a while about what type of photos I will be taking for my portfolio.   It’s a pretty hard ask mainly because it’s that piece of work that I’m going to be using as a showcase of my skillset as a photographer.   I am feel anxious because I really want to nail it.   I want my photos to appear professional and something that I would be proud to share.    I posted photos in an earlier post noting the types of photos that i wish to take.  At the moment the only thing that i am sure of is that i want to take portraiture.  Hopefully along the way (through experiementing) i will be able to fine tune my ideas. Next Thursday we are to present our approach to our portfolio project in class.   Below are the answers to the questions we have been asked to identify in our presentation: What is your genre?  Editorial - life - documentary portraiture.  I chose documentary portraiture because it will reflect a moment in my life.  T

Digital Technology 2 - Week 1 Photographic genres

On Sutha.org we looked at different photo genres.  Four basic photographic categories Creative (fiction) allow a significant element of fantasy.  These types of images allow significant of retouching.  Primary ethic is aesthetic, "whatever looks good goes" Retail (fiction and non fiction) focus on services to the end user Personal (tends to be non-fiction) recording of personal memories and for private use Editorial (non-fiction) non-fiction and record reality in a more objective manner. Bruce and I worked together to complete the class tasks below are the answers to the questions Which genres require more photo retouching? Creative genres Why do you think this is? This is because the images have fantastical elements which require careful thought and arrangement EDITORIAL GENRE What photographer from last term fits into an editorial genre? Lewis Hines is a photographer who shot life as a photojournalism/reportage for political reasons.  His photos documen