Skip to main content

Wk 3 Lines and Patterns Artists

Laszlo Moholy-Nagy

A Hungarian painter, photographer and professor who is known for his explorations of light, shadow and reflections.  His works featured technology and machines which he was fascinated by.  He sought to improve printed photography by using various mechanisms.

Below is a picture produced by a photogram.  These are images made with photographic materials, such as light-sensitive paper but without a camera.  It has examples of patterns and lines.  The light also produces lines forming a triangle on top of the object, keeping the focus on that area.


I'm drawn in by the light which forms a triangle over the objects.  There are three strong lines which cross paths and form a mini triangle at the top.  Movement around this picture is possible by the many lines and also patterns of the objects however the eye is led back to the middle by the three main lines.  It's quite an interesting piece and the longer you look at it your eye becomes introduce to another part of the photo which are hidden under the shadows or layer of objects.

Title: Photogram 1922, Artist Laszlo Moholy-Nagy, Size: 17.8 x 23.7cm Medium: Photograph, gelatin silver print

I have never heard of photograms before so to see such a clear image appear without a camera is quite amazing. The detail is so crisp.  As i'm writing this up i am reminded about a conversation i had with a friend who had asked me if i saw similarities with a screenprinting course i'm doing and photography.  I said no, but now i can say yes - the photogram process is similar to exposing a screen for screen printing.  A photogram uses a light sensitive paper to expose its image on whereas screenprinting coasts a screen with a light sensitive liquid.

Olive Cotton

An Australian photographer during 1930s - 1940s.  Her career spanned more than six decades.  Her works commonly feature light and form.  She was childhood friends with photographer Max Dupain.  He was also her first husband.

The photo below uses pattern and lines to draw the viewers eye.  The pattern which is present comes from the group of trees packed in the fore, mid and back ground.  The low angle shot, draws attention to the group of trees in the foreground making it the dominating subject in this picture.  The lines which are seen from the trees draw the eye toward the clouds, then to the light which beams through the clouds at the top of the photo.  This then leads the eye towards the group of trees bringing you back to the main subject.

What i am starting to see is that curved lines are softer and if they are directing you to the something it is often subtle however straight lines have a more direct approach.

Title: Storm 1938, Artist: Olive Cotton, Medium: Photograph Size: 30.8 x 30.2cm

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 1 - Shutter Speed (TV)

Week 1 This week we are looking at Shutter speeds.   The shutter speed controls the durations of the exposure.  It is the length of time the shutter is open and where light can get in through your sensor. Less light 1/1000 sec - freeze action More light 1 sec - artistic blurs Our exercises in class this week was to play around with different shutter speeds.   It’s my first time using a proper tripod and I must say it’s a wee bit more sturdy and fiddly then the budget ones I’ve used before.   It’s a bit daunting setting up a shot with all this fresh info churning around in my head.   On top of it all there’s a knob for everything on this darn tripod – eek!!! i feel for my poor models having to wait patiently while i sort it all out.   Sorry guys!  Anyway here are some examples of shots at varied shutter speeds I've taken during the week. Still portraits Shutter speed: 1/80", f/10 Shutter speed: 1", f/36 As you increase the size of your ape

Back to school - Wk 1

I am looking to portraiture of family and friends. I wanted to look to the 40s and 50s as inspiration, i love the elegance and beauty of this time.  I also love the lighting techniques, which captures a depth and mystery to the subject.  I really want to produce a portfolio that is timeless, beautiful and elegant. These are some of the photos i wish to reproduce. A photographer who i really like is Yousuf Karsh .   His portraits are amazing.  My favourite is that of Ernest Hemingway. The lines on his face emphases a man of substance and thoughtful.  He appears to be strong yet personable.  I really like how Yousuf captures his subjects, they often feel intimate and honest.  Those are the types of photos i want to take. http://portraitinspiration.com/famous-portrait-photographers/

Portfolio Wk 1 – Portfolio Trajectory

Pitch for Portfolio trajectory I’ve been thinking for a while about what type of photos I will be taking for my portfolio.   It’s a pretty hard ask mainly because it’s that piece of work that I’m going to be using as a showcase of my skillset as a photographer.   I am feel anxious because I really want to nail it.   I want my photos to appear professional and something that I would be proud to share.    I posted photos in an earlier post noting the types of photos that i wish to take.  At the moment the only thing that i am sure of is that i want to take portraiture.  Hopefully along the way (through experiementing) i will be able to fine tune my ideas. Next Thursday we are to present our approach to our portfolio project in class.   Below are the answers to the questions we have been asked to identify in our presentation: What is your genre?  Editorial - life - documentary portraiture.  I chose documentary portraiture because it will reflect a moment in my life.  T