Skip to main content

Wk 5 Dig Tech 1 - Colour and editing

This week we used a fair amount of photoshop techniques to our photos.  Our first task was to find an image that has an area of block colour and then change the colour of this area.
f/13, 1/25, ISO 100


We took two shots of a subject, one with their eyes opened and the other with their eyes closed.  Then in photoshop we cut the open eyes out (using the lasso tool) then copied and pasted them into the photo with the eyes closed.  Below is my edited version of the closed eyes.  I was lucky that the photos that i shot had the same lighting, as some of my fellow students had some problems matching their photos up.


f/22, 1/15, ISO 100

Edited close to open

Original open eyes photo

Flawless don't you think - i'm pretty happy with it too.  I thought i'd be clever and place my model infront of the red car and crop it so it forms an eye.  Can you see the difference?

Our next task was to change the background - here are my before and after photos.  We used the magnetic tool for this.  Initially i thought this was easy until i had to deal with the finer details of the subjects hair.  This took way longer then expected eh! a bit gruelling....

f/5.0, 1/30, ISO 400

We had to change the background to a contrasting colour, as my models hair is red i contrasted the background with green.

This task was a wee bit easier - we had to choose a photo taken the week before of a portrait using the sky as negative space and darken the sky.  As you can see the sky is the only part of the photo which has been darken the light on the subject and foreground is the same.

f5.6, 1/2500, ISO 400
Original photo


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 1 - Shutter Speed (TV)

Week 1 This week we are looking at Shutter speeds.   The shutter speed controls the durations of the exposure.  It is the length of time the shutter is open and where light can get in through your sensor. Less light 1/1000 sec - freeze action More light 1 sec - artistic blurs Our exercises in class this week was to play around with different shutter speeds.   It’s my first time using a proper tripod and I must say it’s a wee bit more sturdy and fiddly then the budget ones I’ve used before.   It’s a bit daunting setting up a shot with all this fresh info churning around in my head.   On top of it all there’s a knob for everything on this darn tripod – eek!!! i feel for my poor models having to wait patiently while i sort it all out.   Sorry guys!  Anyway here are some examples of shots at varied shutter speeds I've taken during the week. Still portraits Shutter speed: 1/80", f/10 Shutter speed: 1", f/36 As you increase the size of your ape

Digital Technology 2 - Week 1 Photographic genres

On Sutha.org we looked at different photo genres.  Four basic photographic categories Creative (fiction) allow a significant element of fantasy.  These types of images allow significant of retouching.  Primary ethic is aesthetic, "whatever looks good goes" Retail (fiction and non fiction) focus on services to the end user Personal (tends to be non-fiction) recording of personal memories and for private use Editorial (non-fiction) non-fiction and record reality in a more objective manner. Bruce and I worked together to complete the class tasks below are the answers to the questions Which genres require more photo retouching? Creative genres Why do you think this is? This is because the images have fantastical elements which require careful thought and arrangement EDITORIAL GENRE What photographer from last term fits into an editorial genre? Lewis Hines is a photographer who shot life as a photojournalism/reportage for political reasons.  His photos documen

Portfolio Wk 1 – Portfolio Trajectory

Pitch for Portfolio trajectory I’ve been thinking for a while about what type of photos I will be taking for my portfolio.   It’s a pretty hard ask mainly because it’s that piece of work that I’m going to be using as a showcase of my skillset as a photographer.   I am feel anxious because I really want to nail it.   I want my photos to appear professional and something that I would be proud to share.    I posted photos in an earlier post noting the types of photos that i wish to take.  At the moment the only thing that i am sure of is that i want to take portraiture.  Hopefully along the way (through experiementing) i will be able to fine tune my ideas. Next Thursday we are to present our approach to our portfolio project in class.   Below are the answers to the questions we have been asked to identify in our presentation: What is your genre?  Editorial - life - documentary portraiture.  I chose documentary portraiture because it will reflect a moment in my life.  T