Skip to main content

Wk 5 - Light Artists

Hellen Van Meene

A dutch photographer.  Her photos consist of mostly portraits of girls and young people.  She uses natural light and shadows to frame her subjects of which she is well known for.  Working with girls with no experience in model, and directs their poses.  She shoots in square format and operates from a medium focal range.  Being square photos the images can appear quite static but with the use of strong lines in the photographs from the walls, stairs as well as the lines casts by the light gives it more depth.


Artist: Hellen Van Meene
Artist: Hellen Van Meene

What i like about her photos is that she uses only natural light.  I like how the light is strong and defines the spaces that it covers.  I don't really know how to view the subjects in the photos, their poses seem unnatural.  NY Times (2005) describes her work as "seeing her subjects as the raw material of her own fictions."  I get that these are directed poses and from what i've read about her work they are her perceptions of preadolescence or innocence.

Larry Sultan

Title: The Sailor who fell from grace 1995 Artist: Larry Sultan Medium: Photograph Format: 977x1200 
  "L.A. light, that kind of foggy, smoggy, soft light—I miss that. It’s the light of my childhood. There are certain sounds, feelings of the air, and all of that which you can’t photograph but you can find the equivalent of, in light." - Larry Sultan

An American photographer who  uses a mix of documentary and staged photography to create images of the psychological as well as physical landscape of suburban family life.

Larry Sultan uses shadow and light in this photo to showcase the brilliance of the ships fire as well as illuminate the face of the sailor.  I like how Larry captures the reflection of the ships fire and also the movement of the fire.  


Title: Palm Springs, Sprinklers 1991 Artist: Larry Sultan, Medium: Photograph, Format: 1000x810
In this photo Larry Sultan captures the light shining through the water.  These shadows create lines which extends to the shadows of the trees on the grass. 







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 1 - Shutter Speed (TV)

Week 1 This week we are looking at Shutter speeds.   The shutter speed controls the durations of the exposure.  It is the length of time the shutter is open and where light can get in through your sensor. Less light 1/1000 sec - freeze action More light 1 sec - artistic blurs Our exercises in class this week was to play around with different shutter speeds.   It’s my first time using a proper tripod and I must say it’s a wee bit more sturdy and fiddly then the budget ones I’ve used before.   It’s a bit daunting setting up a shot with all this fresh info churning around in my head.   On top of it all there’s a knob for everything on this darn tripod – eek!!! i feel for my poor models having to wait patiently while i sort it all out.   Sorry guys!  Anyway here are some examples of shots at varied shutter speeds I've taken during the week. Still portraits Shutter speed: 1/80", f/10 Shutter speed: 1", f/36 As you increase the size of your ape

Back to school - Wk 1

I am looking to portraiture of family and friends. I wanted to look to the 40s and 50s as inspiration, i love the elegance and beauty of this time.  I also love the lighting techniques, which captures a depth and mystery to the subject.  I really want to produce a portfolio that is timeless, beautiful and elegant. These are some of the photos i wish to reproduce. A photographer who i really like is Yousuf Karsh .   His portraits are amazing.  My favourite is that of Ernest Hemingway. The lines on his face emphases a man of substance and thoughtful.  He appears to be strong yet personable.  I really like how Yousuf captures his subjects, they often feel intimate and honest.  Those are the types of photos i want to take. http://portraitinspiration.com/famous-portrait-photographers/

Portfolio Wk 1 – Portfolio Trajectory

Pitch for Portfolio trajectory I’ve been thinking for a while about what type of photos I will be taking for my portfolio.   It’s a pretty hard ask mainly because it’s that piece of work that I’m going to be using as a showcase of my skillset as a photographer.   I am feel anxious because I really want to nail it.   I want my photos to appear professional and something that I would be proud to share.    I posted photos in an earlier post noting the types of photos that i wish to take.  At the moment the only thing that i am sure of is that i want to take portraiture.  Hopefully along the way (through experiementing) i will be able to fine tune my ideas. Next Thursday we are to present our approach to our portfolio project in class.   Below are the answers to the questions we have been asked to identify in our presentation: What is your genre?  Editorial - life - documentary portraiture.  I chose documentary portraiture because it will reflect a moment in my life.  T