Skip to main content

Portfolio Wk 3 Photo shoots


Wk 3 (13 Oct – 17 Oct)

Portfolio progress
What have i done this week?
  • Confirmed shoots this week for three models.  Two females (Pata and Paris) and one male (Chris).  
  • I have organised two hairdressers to come in and do my females hair
  • I have taken practise shots of my model Cecilia, who i will shoot at a later date.  I did the practise shots similar to my previous model.  Using outdoor lighting and experimented with different angles.  I also tried taking photos just above her eye line.  From this shoot, i was able to use the photos to research different poses which would be flattering for her.  Her eyes are very sensitive and she often squints in bright light or whenever she is tired.  One of the things that she was concerned about was appearing washed out or tired in her photos.  I will be sure to organise a time with her when she is well rested and using some make up to even out her skin tone and frame her eyes.  Below is the contact sheet of practise shots i took with Cecilia.  

Photo shoots
With these photo shoots there was alot of organisation which was needed.  The first thing i made sure to have was an assistant.  I drew up a schedule for the day and briefed her on how the day would run.  This was the plan for the day:

9am - Set up Studio (Cecilia and I)
Lighting:
  • 3 point lighting 
  • Side light with snoot
930am - Set up dressing room for make up and hair - use moving image studio (Cecilia to set up)
  • 2 x hair and make up students
  • 2 x models
  • Table to equipment
  • Extension chords and multi plug
945am - Set up food station (Sepa)
  • Sandwiches
  • Fruits
  • Water bottles
10am - Male model shoot (Sepa)
12pm - Break
1230pm - Hair and make up to arrive (Cecilia to supervise)
1pm - female models to arrive
2pm - Photo shoot with females
4pm - End of photo shoots - clean up (Cecilia - Moving image studio, Sepa - Photography studio)
5pm -  lock up and leave

Research
The vision for the shoot was to capture a classic glamour look, however after my first shoot i decided to change that to a more personalised photo of each model.  With that in mind, I met with my female models to discuss how they wanted their hair done.  Seeing as i had already organised hair dressers i thought id check in with my models to see what hair styles they would like to have.  These were the examples they selected:
Here is a photo of the moving images studio where the girls had their hair done:

Here are my models with the hairstyles:
What worked?

  • Having an assistant.  It was a full on day, i had three models to shoot as well as the hairdressers.  Not to mention setting up and pack down the studios.
  • Having a plan.  Without it we would be in complete chaos.
  • Collaborating.  Being able to call on other students within MIT.
  • Experimenting with lighting, different shots and angles.  This allowed my subjects enough time to relax in front of the camera giving me strong photos which i could potentially use for my final portfolio presentation








What did not work?




  • Not placing the light on the right place of the subjects face.  This was resolved by raising the model light so i could see where the light was sitting before taking the photo.
  • Not checking to see if the back light was visible in the photo before snapping a shot
  • The model's hair looked as though she had another face on the side of her head.  I didn't really notice this until i viewed the photos on my computer
  • Having an open photo shoot.  The hair dressers had asked to stay on and watch the shoot, due to my lack of experience i had agreed.  This turned out to be a challenge because whilst the hair dressers was in the studio my model did not feel comfortable telling me she did not like her hair style and that she wanted to actually take it out.
What next?
  • Definitely have a CLOSED photo shoot next time - no extras unless the model requests it.  Having people in the studio was distracting to my models as well as for me.  It was a good lesson for me, because i know now why this is important.  



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 1 - Shutter Speed (TV)

Week 1 This week we are looking at Shutter speeds.   The shutter speed controls the durations of the exposure.  It is the length of time the shutter is open and where light can get in through your sensor. Less light 1/1000 sec - freeze action More light 1 sec - artistic blurs Our exercises in class this week was to play around with different shutter speeds.   It’s my first time using a proper tripod and I must say it’s a wee bit more sturdy and fiddly then the budget ones I’ve used before.   It’s a bit daunting setting up a shot with all this fresh info churning around in my head.   On top of it all there’s a knob for everything on this darn tripod – eek!!! i feel for my poor models having to wait patiently while i sort it all out.   Sorry guys!  Anyway here are some examples of shots at varied shutter speeds I've taken during the week. Still portraits Shutter speed: 1/80", f/10 Shutter speed: 1", f/36 As you increase the size of your ape

Back to school - Wk 1

I am looking to portraiture of family and friends. I wanted to look to the 40s and 50s as inspiration, i love the elegance and beauty of this time.  I also love the lighting techniques, which captures a depth and mystery to the subject.  I really want to produce a portfolio that is timeless, beautiful and elegant. These are some of the photos i wish to reproduce. A photographer who i really like is Yousuf Karsh .   His portraits are amazing.  My favourite is that of Ernest Hemingway. The lines on his face emphases a man of substance and thoughtful.  He appears to be strong yet personable.  I really like how Yousuf captures his subjects, they often feel intimate and honest.  Those are the types of photos i want to take. http://portraitinspiration.com/famous-portrait-photographers/

Portfolio Wk 1 – Portfolio Trajectory

Pitch for Portfolio trajectory I’ve been thinking for a while about what type of photos I will be taking for my portfolio.   It’s a pretty hard ask mainly because it’s that piece of work that I’m going to be using as a showcase of my skillset as a photographer.   I am feel anxious because I really want to nail it.   I want my photos to appear professional and something that I would be proud to share.    I posted photos in an earlier post noting the types of photos that i wish to take.  At the moment the only thing that i am sure of is that i want to take portraiture.  Hopefully along the way (through experiementing) i will be able to fine tune my ideas. Next Thursday we are to present our approach to our portfolio project in class.   Below are the answers to the questions we have been asked to identify in our presentation: What is your genre?  Editorial - life - documentary portraiture.  I chose documentary portraiture because it will reflect a moment in my life.  T