Skip to main content

Wk 4 Sara Orme Response

Sara Orme
Commercial photographer
Photography influences - Art history referencing paintings
Passion for sociology, documenting and narratives
Always looking for the unconventional

Advice
  • Don't be complacent
  • Collaborate (learning and working with others)
  • Never let gear stop you from moving forward
  • Think about your concepts (reference to history, classical paintings or portraits etc...)
  • Challenge yourself and your subjects (push out of the comfort zone)
  • You're the boss, its your vision take ownership of your shoots
  • Be aware with whats happening in the world
    • Try to stay relevant, keep reinventing
How Sara's advice relates to my photography
The thing that really struck a chord in me is her commitment to challenge herself.  I really admire her commitment to understanding what's going on around her.  Especially as she works within an ever changing environment (fashion photography).  From my end what i would practise is to reflect as much of my subject as i can.  Not get to comfortable with using the same easy techniques such as lighting set ups or poses; but to consider who my subject is and what there world is like.  

My response -
Above is photos that i shot of my nephew mimicking a photoshoot i was doing.  He jumped up onto the stool and started posing.  I was able to snap some shots of him before he got bored and walked away.

These photos are my responses to Sara Orme's series titled floating.  I choose these because they use similar elements -

  • Single subject
  • Contrast (Black and White - Shadow and light)
  • Sara's subject is suspended in the air, my subject is elevated by a stool
These photos share a common thread with my portfolio.  They are photos of a subject which i have a close connection with.  The subjects characteristics are evident, mirroring my portraits where i aim to capture the essence of the person i am photographing.  Another aspect which these photos share with my portraits is that light is the most essential part of the photo. The light highlights the contrast in these photos the background has detail and the subject does not where as in the portraits my subjects are place in front of a solid background while they are lit up  where you see the details of their faces.  




My lil Peter Pan - homage to Sara Orme



Sara Orme - Photo from her series Floating

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 1 - Shutter Speed (TV)

Week 1 This week we are looking at Shutter speeds.   The shutter speed controls the durations of the exposure.  It is the length of time the shutter is open and where light can get in through your sensor. Less light 1/1000 sec - freeze action More light 1 sec - artistic blurs Our exercises in class this week was to play around with different shutter speeds.   It’s my first time using a proper tripod and I must say it’s a wee bit more sturdy and fiddly then the budget ones I’ve used before.   It’s a bit daunting setting up a shot with all this fresh info churning around in my head.   On top of it all there’s a knob for everything on this darn tripod – eek!!! i feel for my poor models having to wait patiently while i sort it all out.   Sorry guys!  Anyway here are some examples of shots at varied shutter speeds I've taken during the week. Still portraits Shutter speed: 1/80", f/10 Shutter speed: 1", f/36 As you increase the size of your ape

Back to school - Wk 1

I am looking to portraiture of family and friends. I wanted to look to the 40s and 50s as inspiration, i love the elegance and beauty of this time.  I also love the lighting techniques, which captures a depth and mystery to the subject.  I really want to produce a portfolio that is timeless, beautiful and elegant. These are some of the photos i wish to reproduce. A photographer who i really like is Yousuf Karsh .   His portraits are amazing.  My favourite is that of Ernest Hemingway. The lines on his face emphases a man of substance and thoughtful.  He appears to be strong yet personable.  I really like how Yousuf captures his subjects, they often feel intimate and honest.  Those are the types of photos i want to take. http://portraitinspiration.com/famous-portrait-photographers/

Digital Technology 2 - Week 1 Photographic genres

On Sutha.org we looked at different photo genres.  Four basic photographic categories Creative (fiction) allow a significant element of fantasy.  These types of images allow significant of retouching.  Primary ethic is aesthetic, "whatever looks good goes" Retail (fiction and non fiction) focus on services to the end user Personal (tends to be non-fiction) recording of personal memories and for private use Editorial (non-fiction) non-fiction and record reality in a more objective manner. Bruce and I worked together to complete the class tasks below are the answers to the questions Which genres require more photo retouching? Creative genres Why do you think this is? This is because the images have fantastical elements which require careful thought and arrangement EDITORIAL GENRE What photographer from last term fits into an editorial genre? Lewis Hines is a photographer who shot life as a photojournalism/reportage for political reasons.  His photos documen