Skip to main content

Portfolio Choosing the images - Wk 4


My plan is to do tests prints next week.  I have completed shooting four models.

Selecting images which reflect my vision:

The direction of my photography continues to follow the same ideas that i expressed in my earlier blog regarding showcasing the "essence" of my subjects; through my eyes.  The photos above show off the special traits of each of my models.

Pela - Is the reflection of beauty, creativity and vulnerability.  People who don't know her think that shes intense or stand offish, but to those who know her well, theirs something about her which sets her apart.  This photo celebrates happiness and life.

Paris - Is a blooming flower.  She's still very young, and is facing a lot of real world challenges.  She's part of the social media generation, who are constantly engulfed in the cyber world.  She has a long road ahead of her and i am excited and hopeful for her.  This photo celebrates the coming of age.

Pata - Epitomizes the word strength.  She reminds me so much of my mother.  She is selfless, dedicated, loyal and loving.  I admire her and am inspired by the person she is.  This photo celebrates patience and hope.

Chris - Is one of the most adorable, loving and loyal people i know.  Hes solid, very vocal and pretty much tells it like it is.  If anything this guys is who you want to stand beside you in a brawl!  This photo celebrates authenticity and truth.


Sitting with the photos:

These are photos of my prints hanging in the hallway.  I really like how sit on the wall.  I chose to arrange the photos in this order, because the photos looked visually balanced. There is a natural curved movement where the eye can move easily from one photo to the other.  Also i thought that the images on the ends framed the collection well.
Doing test prints:
Next week i will do test prints and see how these photos translate on double weight matte and hahnemuhle paper.  




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 1 - Shutter Speed (TV)

Week 1 This week we are looking at Shutter speeds.   The shutter speed controls the durations of the exposure.  It is the length of time the shutter is open and where light can get in through your sensor. Less light 1/1000 sec - freeze action More light 1 sec - artistic blurs Our exercises in class this week was to play around with different shutter speeds.   It’s my first time using a proper tripod and I must say it’s a wee bit more sturdy and fiddly then the budget ones I’ve used before.   It’s a bit daunting setting up a shot with all this fresh info churning around in my head.   On top of it all there’s a knob for everything on this darn tripod – eek!!! i feel for my poor models having to wait patiently while i sort it all out.   Sorry guys!  Anyway here are some examples of shots at varied shutter speeds I've taken during the week. Still portraits Shutter speed: 1/80", f/10 Shutter speed: 1", f/36 As you increase the size of your ape

Back to school - Wk 1

I am looking to portraiture of family and friends. I wanted to look to the 40s and 50s as inspiration, i love the elegance and beauty of this time.  I also love the lighting techniques, which captures a depth and mystery to the subject.  I really want to produce a portfolio that is timeless, beautiful and elegant. These are some of the photos i wish to reproduce. A photographer who i really like is Yousuf Karsh .   His portraits are amazing.  My favourite is that of Ernest Hemingway. The lines on his face emphases a man of substance and thoughtful.  He appears to be strong yet personable.  I really like how Yousuf captures his subjects, they often feel intimate and honest.  Those are the types of photos i want to take. http://portraitinspiration.com/famous-portrait-photographers/

Digital Technology 2 - Week 1 Photographic genres

On Sutha.org we looked at different photo genres.  Four basic photographic categories Creative (fiction) allow a significant element of fantasy.  These types of images allow significant of retouching.  Primary ethic is aesthetic, "whatever looks good goes" Retail (fiction and non fiction) focus on services to the end user Personal (tends to be non-fiction) recording of personal memories and for private use Editorial (non-fiction) non-fiction and record reality in a more objective manner. Bruce and I worked together to complete the class tasks below are the answers to the questions Which genres require more photo retouching? Creative genres Why do you think this is? This is because the images have fantastical elements which require careful thought and arrangement EDITORIAL GENRE What photographer from last term fits into an editorial genre? Lewis Hines is a photographer who shot life as a photojournalism/reportage for political reasons.  His photos documen